- 2013 International Summer Institute: Global Citizens, Global Education, Global Competency: Global Context in the Classroom
- 6/12/2013 - 6/15/2013
- CSAMES Brown Bag Lecture: ''Listening to Islamic Gardens''
- 9/17/2013, 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
- Speaking: D.F. Ruggles, Professor, Department of Landscape Architecture
- CSAMES Brown Bag Lecture: ''Pipeline: The Iraq Petroleum Company and the Kirkuk-Haifa Connection''
- 10/15/2013, 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
- Speaking: Rachel Havrelock, Associate Professor, Department of English, University of Illinois at Chicago
- CSAMES Brown Bag Lecture
- 10/30/2013, 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
- Speaking: Dina Khamis, Assistant Professor, Program in Comparative and World Literature
- CSAMES Brown Bag Lecture: ''India at the United Nations: A Postcolonial Nation-State in the Global Arena''
- 11/19/2013, 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
- Speaking: Julie Laut, Doctoral Candidate, Department of History
News & Announcements
- Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 Dr. Sullivan, Professor Emerita, Department of English, has been awarded a Fulbright Scholar Award
- Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013
- Posted Mon, 18 Feb 2013 University of Illinois Professors Write on Egyptian Politics
- Posted Tue, 18 Dec 2012 Illinois International Interview with New Middle East Conference Participant Prince Moulay Hicham
- Posted Wed, 14 Nov 2012
Congratulations to Dr. Zohreh Sullivan! Dr. Sullivan, Professor Emerita, Department of English, has been awarded a Fulbright Scholar Award for the 2013-14 academic year in Amman, Jordan where she will be teaching at the University of Jordan and conducting research on a project called Writers and the Battlefield of History. The project will reflect on how contemporary Arab writers think through problems of location, dislocation, and historical loss.
Seven films on Islamic art, architecture, and gardens, written about and presented at the NEH Muslim bookshelf project by Professor Fairchild Ruggles, released.
Click here for ElBaradei's Gandhi Moment? by Linda Herrera, Magdy Alabady, and Adel Iskandar.
Click here for The constitutional amendment: Lessons from Iran by Behrooz Ghamari-Tabrizi.
Click here for a discussion of recent protests and referendum vote by Ken Cuno.
Click here to listen to New Middle East conference keynote speaker Moulay Hicham ben Abdallah, Prince of Morocco, Consulting Researcher at Stanford, as he is interviewd on Illinois International: The Changing Middle East, hosted by Nicole Tami, Associate Director for International Engagement, IPS.
Graduate and undergraduate students are invited to submit reports on CSAMES-sponsored events for inclusion in our blog. Reports should be sent to Angela Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org
Graduate and undergraduate students are invited to submit reports relating to their research on South Asia and the Middle East, including study abroad courses or projects completed abroad. Photos, charts and maps may be included. Accepted papers will be posted on the CSAMES website. Material should be sent to Angela Williams at email@example.com
For flyer, click here.
For event details, click here.
For website, click here.
For application, click here.
For application, click here.
Rajmohan Gandhi, research professor at the University of Illinois Center for South Asian and Middle Eastern Studies, is featured on "Illinois Innovators."
2012 International Summer Institute: Global Protest Movements. Monday, June 18, 2012 - Friday, June 22, 2012
The Center for South Asian and Middle Eastern Studies sponsors Brown Bag lectures during the fall and spring academic semesters. The Brown Bag lectures are held on Tuesdays at 12-1pm in the Lucy Ellis Lounge (room 1080, Foreign Language Building). Please join us in learning about CSAMES members' current research, pedagogical issues, recent research trips, and conference paper presentations.